I'm confused as to why we need to use the client side in order to register a device -- or in fact, why we need the client side at all. I am able to register devices on the server side and trigger push messages to the devices that have been registered in that way -- so what would I get in addition in terms of features if I used the client side as opposed to just using the normal registration process?

I am using Cordova.

asked 20 Mar '15, 14:34
bhwatts's gravatar image

bhwatts

Am I correct that you are referring to Pushwoosh SDK as the "client side"?

Generally, you can send notifications via Pushwoosh to your application without making any changes in the code / implementing SDK. However, it's not reliable:

• there might be some discrepancy on how your code and our SDK process the received push, which can result in incorrect display of the notification;
  • many Puswhoosh features just won't work without SDK;
  • you would have to keep a list of push tokens on your backend.
permanent link
answered 24 Mar '15, 14:03
Benedict's gravatar image

Benedict

--> there might be some discrepancy on how your code and our SDK process the received push, which can result in incorrect display of the notification;

When the push is received, the server is polled for more complete information anyway -- we don't even need the payload, just the trigger event

--> many Puswhoosh features just won't work without SDK; Can you list this please? Or at least indicate which features WILL work if that is easier

--> you would have to keep a list of push tokens on your backend. We are doing that anyway.

I guess this boils down to -- why use PushWoosh at all? I am experimenting with it because I am concerned that as we do not have experience delivering tens of thousands of push notifications at once, and it is difficult to test these conditions, we might benefit from handing the delivery to a third part with such experience. Therefore, the only thing we need the app for is the push delivery -- everything else is taken care of.

If you think that we would not benefit from using PushWoosh under these circumstances, please say so.

permanent link
answered 24 Mar '15, 15:09
bhwatts's gravatar image

bhwatts

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×190
×120
×76

question asked: 20 Mar '15, 14:34

question was seen: 856 times

last updated: 24 Mar '15, 15:09