We've just checked our database and discovered a monitoring system wasn't working.

As part of this we can see that we have recorded a pushtoken of "BLACKLISTED" rather than a real pushtoken.

These are all from Android devices, nothing from Apple devices. We're at a loss to understand where they come from and why. Google is no help here.

We assume that something has gone wrong but we have no idea.

Any help welcomed.

Thanks

Rob

asked 07 Oct, 18:40
rwillett's gravatar image

rwillett

12next »

Just to add some more information, our apps are working well and have been for over a year, so we're puzzled by this. Its not clear when the pushtoken became BLACKLISTED.

permanent link
answered 08 Oct, 11:10

rwillett

Hello Rob,

Actually, I have found this question on stackoverflow https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42136122/why-does-firebase-push-token-return-blacklisted. And it seems to be that blacklisted tokens occur due to emulators.

I will try to confirm this conjecture with our developers and I`ll let you know about the results!

Regards, Ivan

permanent link
answered 09 Oct, 08:25
iskoritzky's gravatar image

iskoritzky

Ivan,

Thanks we have already seen that posting, this is not an emulator problem as the only people who use emulators is us and we know exactly what and when we are doing it.

Rob

permanent link
answered 09 Oct, 08:33

rwillett

Rob,

Could you please let me know the name of the application in question? I want to find and check this device in our user base.

Regards, Ivan

permanent link
answered 09 Oct, 08:45

iskoritzky

edited 09 Oct, 09:22

Rob,

Please let me follow-up on my previous message.

I have found this device in your userbase. It is Nexus 5X. Actually, it is quite strange because I have seen once the blacklisted token and it was also Nexus 5X. Moreover, as you can see from the stackoverflow thread there were also Nexuses 5X.

I assume that the issue is in the device model. We will make some test tomorrow with the equal device and I will let you know about the results!

Regards, Ivan

permanent link
answered 09 Oct, 09:27

iskoritzky

Ivan,

There are two apps in question "Jambuster Production" and "Jambuster Blackwall Tunnel Production".

We've just looked again at the database we keep of usage and can see that some of the devices in question, all Android devices, used our app 12079 secs ago, thats three hours ago. We don't have any emulators running at the moment, the only emulator we use is Genymotion and thats not running at all.

I can provide more information as needed but we're struggling to understand why this is happening. Clearly there is a problem, what we have done is update our system to avoid anybody who has a Pushwoosh token of 'BLACKLISTED" which should help us a little.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Rob

permanent link
answered 09 Oct, 09:27

rwillett

Ivan,

Ah! Thats interesting. We don't own a real Nexus 5X and from memory we don't use a 5X in any of our emulators.

A puzzle! Do ypu log Android versions as well? That might assist us.

Rob

permanent link
answered 09 Oct, 09:29

rwillett

Rob,

The Android version is 6.0.1 for both devices.

Regards, Ivan

permanent link
answered 09 Oct, 09:33

iskoritzky

Thats a coincidence.

You only have two devices blacklisted? We can see a lot more in our records. We deleted very old ones, but we can see 22 different devices so we have had significantly more.

Rob

permanent link
answered 09 Oct, 09:43

rwillett

Hello Rob,

Actually, yes, I have downloaded the full user bases of these two apps and I have found only 2 devices blacklisted (one on each app). Probably, other devices were invalidated and removed from our database.

Also, I have tested physical device Nexus 5X, and it works as expected.

By the way, Nexus 5X is one of two devices with Google Play access in Android Studio Virtual Device Manager (the second one is Nexus 5).

I have emulated Nexus 5X with Android 8.0 and it works fine, registered correctly and receive pushes.

Unfortunately, I could not emulate it on Android 6.0 because it would not have access to Google Play Store. And I cannot debug without it. We can build our own sample and test in on 6.0, but it will take some time.

However, I will pass this information to our developers in order to find out why such devices appear.

Regards, Ivan

permanent link
answered 10 Oct, 06:35

iskoritzky

edited 10 Oct, 06:36

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×315
×185
×47

question asked: 07 Oct, 18:40

question was seen: 133 times

last updated: 18 Oct, 05:37